Monday, July 7

Costa Rica Adventure Day 8- Life is so fun when you are 2 years old!

  Today started off pretty low key.  We got to Gatitos and there didn't seem to be as many children as usual.  We played for a little bit and Mayela pulled me aside.  She said that she had gotten a lot of positive feedback from some of the parents of the children.  That they are singing some of the songs we've sung at home and the parents are so happy that their kids are singing in English.  She said that some of the people in the neighborhood around the daycare have also approached her with positive things about hearing the English songs.  (Most of the houses here are very open to let the air circulate through so even we were inside, I'm sure the whole neighborhood can hear is singing)
   We of course took them "Arriba" and sang a lot more today.  The favorites seem to be, "5 Little Monkeys" "The Eensy, weensy Spider", "Do as I'm doing" and any one where they can jump.  Someone commented once that I knew all of these weird songs that nobody has heard of before.  It's true...I do.  And since I don't have a family of my own, I'm glad I can use them to entertain these kids for 2 weeks.  I just hope that the volunteers coming after us know some of them enough to keep it going.  It was fun watching the kids follow along and try to sing the songs.  Some of them were actually doing really well. And some of the little 2 and 3 year olds have got the hand movements down pat.  Even doing them before Mom or I did them because they knew what was coming.  I love how music can touch and influence everyone, regardless of the language they speak.  One of the buses we were on had the Beatles or some other Oldy group on and there were a few other passengers singing along.  It mad me smile.  Yeah for music!
   I spent a bit more time with some of the younger kids today.  I love hearing them speak Spanish.  One of the little boys and I played pretend Moto (motorcycle) He told me where to put my feet and hands and I made the noises.  The imagination of a little one is so broad.  I don't ever want to do anything to squash it.  For anybody...no matter how weird it is.  Which is definitely easier said then done because there are some wacko thinkers out there haha.
  Nothing really extra ordinary happened.  Mom got roped into singing again after lunch.  I had a 3 and 2 year old brother and sister to play with.  They wanted me to pick them both up at the same time and I was once again reminded of how weak my poor little arms are :)  As we were leaving it was nap time and they wanted me to lay down and sleep with them....I wish :)  Little children are so loving, forgiving, and non judgmental.  They make your heart feel better when life gets rocky.  A friend told me today that the kids need me.  But it's not true...I need them. And hopefully when I get back in the states I'll be able to find a way to keep serving somehow.


No comments: