Friday, July 4

Costa Rica Adventure Day 5-Red, White, and Blue

Happy 4th of July!!!
   Today was a low key day at Gatitos.  The new trend there is to make bracelets.  The kind I used to make when I was younger...out of hemp.  They are a little bit more creative and are using colorful string and making different patterns and styles.  It's fun to see them do it.  It is not fun to see them whine and try to get me to do it for them.  I wish I knew the word for whining in Spanish...so I could ask them to stop :)
   Sharon from Maximo came up with us and she sang for a little bit and observed how things are going up there.  They want to send up more volunteers next week so that we'll take shifts.  That'll be good and interesting to see how that goes with the kids.  I was surprised today when one of the standoffish 2 year olds came running up to me for a hug/to be protected from a big kid.  I guess when you are getting pushed around it doesn't matter which adult is saving you.
    We sang again and read some books.  They are losing attention faster.  We'll have to think of some games or something.  I wonder if I can translate going on a bear hunt, or going on a picnic to Spanish easily.  Mayela was gone today and Mom made the comment that it was a bit more crazy without her around.  Like it is when Mom leaves the house and puts the oldest or a babysitter in charge.  They are super nice there and always give us a mid morning snack "una merienda." Today it was an orange...I had 5 or 6 little ones all around me wanting some.  I felt like a...I don't know.  Something haha.Sorry, my brain is pretty shot now after this week.  A whole week!!! It's Friday already.
    The big game is tomorrow and all over the city we have seen more and more venders out with shirts, hats, flags, horns.  If we thought last time was crazy, I can't imagine what the city will be like WHEN we win.  Since today is the 4th of July, it's interesting being in a different country.  Did you know that Costa Rica doens't have a national army?  They got rid of it in the 40s and now put the funding toward healthcare and education.  They also have to pay 9% of their paycheck for basically the retirement of others.  They don't have welfare and food stamps.  They aren't forced to go to a certain church.  They don't have very many street signs.  They are pretty modern.  BUT being here makes me grateful for where I live.  Grateful for my country.  For my ability to choose.  For the chance that I have to live my standards and support them, even if they are not popular.  A place where everyone has an opinion and it's ok.  A place where I got an education and can use it for the rest of my life.  A place that is sooo big there is still parts to discover.  Happy birthday USA!  Thanks for lasting as long as you have.
    Now we have the weekend to discover more things.  Mom leaves next Saturday and then I'll have a few days to play on my own.  Until then, bring it on.
The girls were putting them in their hair and gave me one...thankfully I had a barret in so I just attached it to that.

A treat from one of the many bakerys we pass every day.  Happy Fourth!

1 comment:

Megan said...

Fun stuff. I was watching the end of the game and cheering for Costa Rica, but alas, no luck from my cheers. I love you two!