Friday, July 11

Costa Rica Adventure Day 12- So long, Farewell, auf Wiedersehen, Goodbye

   The time has come for us to say goodbye to Gatitos and all of the amazing wonderful people, and the spirit that was there.  It didn't help that it was a pretty dreary day...Even the sky was sad to see us go.  :)
    We played a lot.  Mom taught a few of them the dot game and I just wandered basically playing between a few of them.  Mayela doesn't usually come in on Fridays but she came in today and pulled me into her office.  She explained that they were going to get us a jar with a picture of us and the kids...but it didn't work.  And then they were going to print off a calendar but they ran out of ink.  I told them not to worry about it but then she gave me the best gift. She explained how grateful she was that we had come.  She has been running Daycares for 25 years and nobody offered to help until now.  The kids are in school (this is like Winter for Costa Rica) So that past 2 weeks they have been on their winter break.  This break has been a very unique experience for the kids.  We've brought a new culture to them and introduced them to a lot.  They have learned so much and we have learned so much from them.  She told me that she can see a difference in the kids with having us around.  And their parents are happy and content with us coming.  They sent their thanks with her about what we did for their kids over these past 2 weeks.  I'm grateful to her for sharing that with me.  We were only here for 2 weeks and I doubt the kids will remember us if at all...But just like being a teacher, for that short amount of time we did what we could to help their lives to be a little bit better.  And I don't regret it at all.
    Mayela and her daughter both cried.  As we were leaving one of the older girls told her little sister she was coming to the US with us...and even walked us to the best stop.  Her little sister was bawling her eyes out.  Poor kid (but the sister in me laughed a lot...I'm a jerk lol)
   I'm sad to leave the kids.  But I'm excited for how the volunteers will help them and hopefully they will help them have a better life in the future and success in their lives.

And they are going to miss Mi Mama.











































1 comment:

Megan said...

This is so sweet. It'd be cool if you could schedule yourself to go back every summer during their two week vacation from school. Then they'd remember you. :)