Sunday, August 2

The Miracle that is Nauvoo

  It is not uncommon, or unusual to hear about the many miracles that happen in Nauvoo.  I know miracles happen everyday all over the world, big ones and a lot of small one, I am not detracting from those.  But while being in Nauvoo they get pointed out OFTEN.  And there are a variety of different types ranging from; weather ones, medical ones, transportation ones, family ones, and the extra special-personal ones.


There are no reflection pools by the Nauvoo Temple, this was a nature-made one after the many intense rain storms.

  Blue Cast was not spared our share of miracles.  From a sister who thought she ruptured her achilles and ended up not having surgery, to a brother who had a tear in his retina and his surgery was near as intense as they thought.  To the rain stopping or starting at the exact right moment.  To the passing storms that destroyed nearby communities but left Nauvoo untouched.  Now don't get me wrong,  there were a lot of HARD things going on and things that we struggled with, things were definitely not perfect, but it was very easy to see the hand of the Lord in all things that happened around that sacred, special town.

  My family was no stranger to these blessings and miracles.  One night as they were coming offstage, my father twisted his ankle.  Within 5 minutes of that happening he was given a priesthood blessing by someone with authority to do so, and there was a group of people saying a prayer for him(even though they had no idea who is was that was hurt).  The swelling went down, he felt no pain, and was recovered in the next couple of days.

  I had knee surgery at the end of April, which everyone was aware of and I had to take it easy at some points.  But what nobody in Nauvoo knew, was my heart issues.  about a week before I left Utah I had an appointment with the PA that works with my cardiologist.  I mentioned during that appointment that I had almost passed out after being on the treadmill for less than 5 minutes during physical therapy.  She immediately scheduled an echocardiogram, and commented on the possibility of needed surgery soon.  So I had a fun nervous weekend waiting to see if I would be in Utah having surgery, or in Nauvoo singing and dancing and performing.
   My follow up with the cardiologist basically went like this "You are not severe enough to NEED surgery right now, if we do it now it is just doing it before it is necessary.  But it will have to happen soon.  What?  You are going to be in the Nauvoo heat and humidity for 2 weeks, singing and dancing?  You almost pass out after exercising for 5 minutes on the treadmill, can't walk and talk without being short of breath? Well...just take it easy, drink so much water you feel like you are draining the Mississippi, listen to your body, and try not to pass out." Ok, got it doc!
 
They way they organize these pageants still astounds me.  Before we get there we are already divided up into districts and (depending on what district we are in) placed in scenes and given entrances and exits.  They have a Core cast of amazing, talented people, that perform the whole month and have a lot of responsibilities given to them-including helping those of us that feel like lost sheep :)  Then they have 5 different family casts that volunteer 2 weeks of their summer to be in Nauvoo, practice and perform and then the next cast takes over.  Our cast was the 2nd family cast.  While the first was performing we practiced and then performed the next week.  They gave us these blue blocking books (since we are in the Blue Cast) that had our schedules (that would probably change) and other important information we would need.  If you look at what our written schedule said, we were supposed to be on the stage Monday night for like 30 minutes, and pretty much everyday for the rest of the week.  Due to the weather, however those plans changed.  ALOT.  We learned our spots and the dances in the Headquarters open area.  They had a flat outline of the stage on the floor so we did the best we could.  Then when we finally were able to be on the stage, we MIRACULOUSLY and definitely with the Spirit and guidance of Heavenly Father, were able to pull it off pretty seamlessly.  There were a few days that we practiced on the stage in the heat and had to do the dances multiple times.

    Which really isn't that bad, but this stage sits at an angle.  A pretty good angle.  Now also remember, I had knee surgery in April-you don't dance the same on an angle as you do on the flat floor in Pageant Headquarters.
  
I would take some time out with my knee.  But the first night we performed I didn't feel any pain.  As soon as I stepped onto that stage.  It was as if my knee was perfect again, and I performed and danced the most energetic and best I could.  One of the 12 Apostles was there that night and had given the cast as a whole some blessings.  Not a coincidence.

 Then let's add the Nauvoo heat and humidity which I love.  And this stage that radiates the heat right back.  And dancing multiple times.  Oh yeah, remember my heart?  I didn't pass out! Came close a few times, had to sit out a few times and blame it on my knee, but it didn't happen! Yeah!

   We were able to put on 2 pageants that we worked on in less than a week.  With the majority of our cast never being in a theater production, let alone a pageant.  And sure we definitely messed up a few times (more than a few), but you could feel the spirit so STRONGLY every single night.  We were simply the Lord's instruments in the dance and the music of testifying of His Son, Jesus Christ, and his Restored Gospel on this Earth today.

   As I looked back and thought about our practice time, I couldn't help but feel grateful for the rain.  I honestly do not know how much I physically could've handled, toward the end of the 2 weeks I just iced my knees for HOURS to numb it up before we performed and my heart-I don't want to speculate what COULD have happened because of it.  I know the Lord has a plan for each of us.  I know I wasn't the reason why it rained so much, but I am grateful that I could benefit from it.  That it was a tender blessing in my life, as well as being part of His grander plan for each and everyone of His children impacted by it.

 The greatest miracle of all however, is the personal one.  The change that one goes through as we commune with our ancestors and our Heavenly Father DAILY, to do His will and help others come unto Christ as we are.  To share the light of the Gospel.  To ache for those who are struggling to work it all out. To allow the Lord to be a part of your life and a part of your family.  It is hard, it is hot, it is uncomfortable, it is wet, it is sticky, it is gross, it is glorious, it is humbling, it is eye opening, it is heart opening, it is sacred,  it is Zion.  And we are ALL the better for witnessing even the smallest glimpse of it.  And you don't have to have been in Nauvoo to have that a part of your life.  You can work everyday to make your home, your family, your life, YOU, Zion.

And never forget,
The greatest miracle of all, is us.




No comments: